Thursday, October 7, 2010

I Know What I Want! (Communication)

I have invited Olivia's family and friends to send me a blog post this month (to make my 31 for 21 job easier). My wonderful husband, Daddy Peter, sent me this great blog post about Olivia communicating "What she wants!" Thank you Peter!!!!! XOXOXOXOX !!!!!

Olivia is definitely learning how to communicate what she wants and doesn’t want. She has begun to grab our hand or finger and move it to what she wants us to do. For example, she finds it quite funny and enjoyable for us to tickle her feet. If we stop, she will move our hand back to her feet to tell us to do it again. The flip-side is that Olivia knows what she doesn’t want!! If you sit down to read and you pick up the wrong book, she will, in no uncertain terms, let you know. It can be a process of trial and error until you happen upon a book she is interested in. When eating, if you put a piece of food on her tray that she doesn’t find desirable, she will pick it up and unceremoniously drop it onto the floor. It is encouraging to see her develop interests and preferences, and learn how to communicate them.

Peter

No comments: